In 1932, statistics were created concerning bicycle accidents and injuries. Since that time, there has been over 51,000 bicycle deaths involving motor vehicles. In a recent year, Florida had 5200 bicycle related injuries and 618 bicycle related deaths. Nearly two (2%) percent of all Florida motor vehicle accidents involved a bicyclist. Our Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorneys have represented numerous cases involving bicyclists who have been significantly injured while riding a bicycle.
Florida law requires all bicyclists who are under the age of 16 to wear a helmet while riding. Florida law also has several laws that apply specifically to bicycles: Section 316.2065, Florida Statutes, is commonly referred to as the "Bicycle Regulations".
It is always important to ride safely and here are a few basic tips for bicycle safety:
- Maintain your bicycle in good and safe repair;
- Use proper hand signals when turning;
- Use proper bicycle markings while riding at night (Florida law now allows bicycles to have flashing lights on them);
- Always obey traffic signals;
- Wear bright colors while riding;
- Wear a properly manufactured bicycle helmet; and
- Ensure your helmet is properly fitted.
Our attorneys have litigated numerous cases involving bicycle accident victims who have been injured through the negligence of others through Florida, including Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, Polk and Orange County. If you or a loved one have been injured while riding a bicycle as the direct result of negligence of another motorist, please contact us, your Tampa Personal Injury Attorneys.