Motorcycle use has continued to rise within the past 10 years throughout the United States. A report released on May 22, 2011 by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) found there was no progress made in reducing motorcyclist deaths in 2011. The economy influences motorcycle in travel in many ways as it reflects more people were purchasing motorcycles due to rising gas costs and because of the motorcycles fuel efficiency. Motorcycle fatalities remain one of the few areas in highway safety where progress in not being made. Our Tampa Motorcycle Accident Attorneys have dedicated a substantial portion of their practice to representing motorcyclists who have been injured by the negligence of others.
The report recommended five areas that could improve motorcycle death rates:
- Increase helmet use - Helmets have proven to be 37% effective at preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists and 41% effective for passengers;
- Reduce alcohol impairment – For the year 2010, 29% of motorcycle fatalities involved riders with a blood alcohol concentration at or above the legal limit of .08;
- Reduce speeding – 35% of motorcycle riders involved in fatal accidents were speeding and more than half of them did not involve any other vehicle;
- Provide motorcycle training – Many motorcycle safety courses were not being provided in convenient locations or at convenient times; and
- Encourage all drivers to share the road with motorcyclists – motorcycle accidents involving other vehicles typically involved a violation of the motorcyclist's right of way.
Hopefully, the above recommendations will help reduce motorcycle accidents in the future. Whether you ride a motorcycle or not, please remember to share the road for and keep an eye out for motorcyclists.
Our attorneys have litigated numerous prior cases involving motorcycle victims who have been injured through the negligence of other motorists in Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee, Polk and Orange County. If you or a loved one have been injured as the direct result of negligence of another motorist, please
contact us, your Tampa Personal Injury Attorneys.